Rider Profiles

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Learning about Cyclo-cross

A couple of things I've learned:

1) CX is really hard on a bike. Between the unusual stress from the low end accelerations, the bumps, and the crashes, you really beat the crap out of your bike. I have been to the mechanic every week after I've raced. Compared to road or mountain, cx is seriously abusive.

2) Good tubulars + low pressure = good results. If you want to keep both wheels on the ground (most of the time), you need have them. The Michelin mud 2 is a nice clincher, but there is a noticeable difference riding tubulars. They feel much faster on a cx bike.

3) I need to practice dismounts and remounts under more stressful conditions. I think the drills should come at the end of a tough workout, because you will feel the same way half way through a cross race.

1 comment:

BLUEIF said...

Mathguy, you're looking really strong out there!