Rider Profiles

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Norfolk Races


Fred nailed it on a couple of Sundays ago, winning the State Criterium Championship for Masters 55+, with John finishing just outside of the medals in 4th. Good work, guys!

That Saturday, John, Fred and myself raced the Norfolk Classic road race. Of course, the Masters field was combined with the cat 4 field, adding an element of danger to the affair. So it was warm, humid, and 64 miles of cat 4s sucking on our wheels. Mark Brackenbury, Fred and myself tried repeatedly to create a break that would stick, but some pinhead group of 4s would always chase it down (even though we weren't racing against them). The inevitable crash occurred about 35 miles in, taking out several riders. I went on my own at about 46 miles and stayed away for 8 miles, but Mark and Shim decided that I would not be allowed to stay away. It stayed together the rest of the way for the sprint, except for one small move that eventually got shut down with 4 miles to go. With all of the work we did, Fred and I were cramping, so I ended up 2nd in 45+, Fred ended up 3rd. We had fun in masochistic sense.

No comments: