Rider Profiles

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Velo Veloce flexes at Le Tour de Husker





Race report for Le Tour road race. El Guapo decides Friday night to punt on the Ironman training and opts for Le Tour road race on Saturday morning at Branched Oak. The lure of bike racing is like a drug. Needed my fix. So, hop in the Jeep, snarf some wicked chocolate covered, custard filled do-dos on the way done and guzzle a gallon of java the hut, fully leaded 93 octane jet fuel.

Colder than a well-digger's ass while we're getting ready, but as soon as we roll out things start to heat up for the 48 mile race. Dave the Dagger Randleman and El Guapo race Open Cat 4. On 2nd lap, I hear mass carnage occurring behind me. My first thought was that it sounded like carbon fiber breaking. Twas! No time to look back, but turns out to be true. Check out this pic taken after the race!

4th lap, about a mile before the dam, it's my turn. Some clown goes down about 5 bikes in front of me. I scream out "Scheizer" as I eat pavement. (That's shee-yat in German) Nothing broken, just bleeding, so I hop back on my sled and burn rubber out of there as the rest of the unlucky sods are rolling in agony on the tarmac. The lead group is now about 1/4 mile away, so I go into TT mode and go red to catch back on. Rest briefly in the back, slam in a Gu on the way across the dam. As soon as we turn west, things start to pick up in earnest. Kaos Kyle hits the gas, others not quick to react, so I take opportunity to bridge up. We get a gap of about 50 yards. Kyle and I work together the next 3 miles with the pack of rabid wolves nipping at our heels, but our lead holds out to the final turn into Lieber Point. I've got second secured and can't match Kyles strength as he wins by 10 yards or so. The pack finished about 20 seconds behind and the Dagger strikes for 4th place. It was great working with the D, as we both watched out for each other thruout the race. Far freaking out. Roasted like a 'mallow at the end, but it felt GRRREAT.

Mike and Troy race Cat 5, but I'll let them report in on that action.

Everybody loves Tiggers!

5 comments:

brady said...

Thanks for the write up. Good job on the finish, El Guapo. Glad that you're not nicked up too badly from that crash, too; hate to see all that training for Ironman Kansas go to waste.

Go Tiggers

mathguy said...

Great job!

El Guapo said...

Brady,
Uh, your warnings about not screwing things up for Ironman by eating pavement during RR came true. Don't think I didn't say to myself "Brady was right." Maybe you jinxed me?
Missed you during the RR? Where was ya?
Flog me on Wednesday, please.

El Guapo said...

Brady,
Uh, your warnings about not screwing things up for Ironman by eating pavement during RR came true. Don't think I didn't say to myself "Brady was right." Maybe you jinxed me?
Missed you during the RR? Where was ya?
Flog me on Wednesday, please.

Cervelo1 said...

Nice write-up...You failed to mentioned the similarities to the 1979 classic, "Breaking Away", as the Cutters beat the College Kids in their own back yard.

Good work. Just adding a little color.