Rider Profiles

Monday, June 20, 2011

Operation Subaru Cup-Engage!

This past weekend was the Nebraska state championship mountain bike race at Ponca State Park. A small but strong and good looking crew of Velo Veloce/Greenstreet riders made the trek up to Ponca for this Pyscowpath classic. Todd Eyeberg and I contested the Cat. 2 open race while Dave Randleman opted to increase his hipster cred on the single speed. For me it was an opportunity to add an off-road state title to my resume, and to earn some redemption after bungling the Cat. 2 race at Platte River last month. I raced well at Ponca last year, and was looking forward to the punishing climbs and flowy singletrack again this year. Going into the race I wanted to simulate what things would be like at the Subaru Cup next week.

The Subaru Cup is one of the bigger if not the biggest cross country oriented mountain bike events in the Midwest. For the second year in a row it is a stop on the USA Cycling Pro XCT, as well as serving as the midwest regional mountain bike championships for the XC, short track, and super D events.

My plan going in was to get out hard and try for the holeshot. Ponca has a fast flat/downhill lead-out and I figured it would require a lot of steam to get to the front. After going over it a few times prior to race time I opted to eschew my big ring and avoid the risk of a shifting error or chain suck just prior to entering the singletrack. My feeling was that the course at Ponca didn’t really allow a lot of room for passing and so getting stuck further back than 3rd wheel entering the singletrack climb would be a tactical mistake for me. Similarly, the lead out at Subaru Cup bottlenecks quickly and being at the front is advantageous.

As the starters whistle blew I got off to good enough start, but was a few wheel lengths behind Ian Robertson, a Cat. 2 roadie riding for Flatwater Cyling. I haven’t raced Ian before and didn’t really know who the heck he was, only that he was in front of me and going fast. I expected some pressure from the usual suspects; Kevin Bratetic, Monte Bonin, Ryan Van Houwelling and Steven Mongeon, but I wasn’t certain what kind of a threat this guy presented.


I settled for second wheel going into the singletrack and tried to gradually move my way up to get on Ian's wheel. Just past the first road crossing there is a short quick descent that funnels into a hard uphill left turn. Ian botched the turn, causing me to nearly ride straight up his back. We got going again and I stayed more or less right on his wheel up the next set of steep climbs. After we crested and the trail opened up a bit I didn’t hesitate and went around. I’m not sure exactly how long he stayed with me, but I felt like I was alone before we hit the next road crossing.

Heading into the third lap, my lovely superfan girlfriend Emily informed me that the gap back to the next rider was about 30 seconds. I couldn’t see or hear anyone behind me in the switchbacks, but I had to trust what she told me. I figured 30 seconds was not a comfortable enough cushion with a lap to go, especially if I crashed or had a minor mechanical. I pinned it on the power climbs and rode steady in the flats and downhill sections, keeping a little in reserve in case I got pulled back in by anybody.


I caught my favorite Polish pirate (‘the dread pirate Doloto’) just before the first road crossing, which strangely enough was EXACTLY where I caught up to him last year. We rode together and pondered the significance of this coincidence for a brief bit before exchanging pleasantries and parting ways. The rest of the race consisted of shredding sweet singletrack and was otherwise uneventful. Crossing the line with a finger in the air was sweet, sweet goodness! I took a moment to savor the victory and appreciate all of the things that came together to make for a successful race.

All things considered it was a good haul for the VV crew as Randleman took first in the SS class while VV/Greenstreet group ride regular Doug Reid was second (hey Doug, you need a jersey? hint hint). Todd wasn't super pleased with his race but still managed 9th out of 18 in the Cat. 2 open race. Post race socializing was fun as usual and the EVCC crew was burning burgers on the grill to keep our spindly bike racer bodies from wasting away to nothing (thanks EVCC!).

This week will bring to a close my early season training, and I think my preparations for the Subaru Cup have progressed well. I should be in good form for the big dance, but I’m not exactly sure where I fit in in a race this deep. The last WORS race this season had almost 350 guys (!!) in cat. 2 split between sport and comp classes. At the Subaru cup the cat. 2 races will be split according to age, with the 39 and under in one race, and the masters, juniors, ss, and clydes in the other. I get a little nervous thinking about the size of the race, but at the same time I recognize THAT IS WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR! So bring it WORS, it’s time to see what we’re made of.



Subaru Cup Video Remix Finalist - Martin Tank II from Team WORS on Vimeo.

3 comments:

El Guapo said...

I think I know what you are made of....barbed wire and battery acid. Way to go! Nice way to finish training. And congrats to Super Dave, Teach-me-how-to-Dougie and Todd the Monster Head. Viva Velo Veloce!

Rad-Renner said...

I have hipster cred? Sweet! FYI, I don't think they make jerseys big enough for Doug's Ahnald-like physique. Good luck at the Subaru Cup, Noah!

brady said...

Congrats, Noah. You're having a good season. Keep it up at Subaru