Rider Profiles

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Out with the old!


So, my trusty old Cervelo is toast. I spent many a suffering hour on that sled. It served me well. But the time has come to upgrade. I sold the Cervelo to Ben out in west O, who wants to start doing triathlons.

Blaine, our shop's mechanical genius and the Midwest's best, is currently assembling a 2008 Orbea Ora for me. Sleek black and white scheme all in carbon. We're building it up with all Campy components, as it would be heresy to put on japcrap. The only non-Campy components are the brake levers, since Campy doesn't make any. I forked over a little extra dinero and bought some SRAM 900 TT levers, all carbon and super light at 99 grams.

With a little luck, I stumbled into a sweet deal on some aero wheels. I bought some brand new Easton EC90 TT wheels down at Bike Pedaler's in Lincoln. Thanks to Sean and Jason for treating me right on those gems. I promised them I'd bring Fred down and we'd do some of their Tuesday night TT training rides.

Not sure what the total weight of the beastie will be when all done. Certainly less than the 21+ lbs. that the Cervelo weighed. I'm hoping 18 lbs or less. Combine that with great aero wheels and I hope to fly down the TT road this year. Of course, I'll need the motor to be all tuned up to make the Ora gold. Uh, can you say sufferfest?

Let the party begin. More story to follow when Blaine calls to tell me the Rocket is Ready.

El Guapo

No comments: