Rider Profiles

Saturday, August 01, 2009

Road Raced and Roasted

Pic: Dad is greeted post-road race by his feed zone pit crew...Millie and Monie

Quick recap: El Guapo rode in the State Games of America road race today in Salida. Had about 20 guys in my 45+, Cat 4 group. We started a minute behind the 40 rider strong 35+, Cat 4 group. It was torcherous. Super hot and sunny. The 12 miles loop was a killer. Long, long ascent up 10% grades. Once over the top, screaming descent, hitting 50mph+ routinely.

I ended up 9th out of twenty. Not sure yet of my omnium position. Hope to hold onto 3rd. The guy who finished 3rd in TT finished 2nd in road race. I'll know tomorrow morning after crit.

I let the mountain goats go once we hit the first ascent. Dudes were about 150 lbs soaking wet and could climb like ivy. I might have finished a little higher, but ended up overshooting a corner at high speed and went down in ditch. No broken bones, but took a minute to shake the cobwebs.

Felt stronger each lap. Had to go up the beastly grades 4 times. Not to disappointed with finish really. Dined on a lot of the 35+ riders. Cramped a little on the last lap, but commanded my gray cells to override pain signals from right leg.

Had Millie and Simone handing me water bottles at feed zones. They were decked out in their Tony Tiger kit. People thought they were sweet. They usually are.

Didn't sleep a stinkin wink last night, period. The extra burden of wearing the mellow johnny, I guess. Hopefully sleep will arrive tonite via Dead-Ex. That's what my body feels like now. Yea, tho I cycle thru the mountains of death, I shall fear no evil, for I love the pain. I was built to process pain. Pain is my life. Ciao.

No comments: