Rider Profiles

Saturday, August 01, 2009

Riding High!

Pic: El Guapo in O2 debt post-TT, but manages to pose with his trusty $675 Cervelo warhorse.

OK Velocistas,


Ever been gasping for air so much the back of your throat is raw? That's what I felt yesterday at the end of the State Games of America time trial. But, great news. El Guapo diesels in for the TT win in my category. Holy jumping jelly beans! Great Horny Toads! Exceeded my expectations. I had hoped for a podium.


Let's recap. Simone and I came out a week early. I test rode the rather short TT course last Saturday. It starts off with a quick descent and several S turns, then straightens out into a false flat up to the turn around point. The return is quicker as you speed down the false flat and the S turns, but the ascent to the finish is the killer.


The race:


Prior to race, I noticed that they had me in with the Cats 1, 2, and 3 45+ racers. There was a Cat 4, 45+ division that I should have been in. Consulted with the race directors and referees. They said go ahead and race with the 1, 2 and 3s, and they would switch me over to Cat 4 at race end. So picture me warming up with all these super fast, savvy, thin-air breathing dudes from Colorado and other states.


I just barely got to the start gate on time. I was #153. (saved this for the scrapbook). Saw #154 of the fellow following me waiting at the gate. Got in front of him, then they held my bike while I clipped in. Had trouble again with booties, but got locked in with 15 seconds to go. They launched new riders every 30 seconds. Screamed out of the starting blocks like a kamikaze pilot about to detonate against an aircraft carrier.


Strangely un-nervous about the whole affair. I had checked out my rabbit (#152) while warming up. He was decked out in beautiful Team Evergreen kit, and had rippling calf muscles. Obviously used to racing at altitude, which was above 7,200 feet in Salida. After the first descent and turns, I had closed about 10 seconds on him. Held this up the false flat as we labored to turn around point. I was downshifting all the way up this flat and had just run out of gears and gas at the turn around. Noticed the fella behind me had not gained on me, so that was great. Locked my rabbit into the cross-hairs and matched his descent. Didn't hit the brakes at all during S curves, then gained good time on him on the uphill ascent to finish. Not much screaming at finish, rather looked like fish on the beach gasping for oxygen. Held high 170s heart beats/minute during whole affair.


Simone, Millie and CK were located as soon as vision came back around. Sucked down a tepid Diet Coke, then could start talking again. Told Simone I closed gap on my rabbit and didn't get passed, so that boded well. We met down at Alpine Park waiting for results. Like most races, results ran late getting posted, so we went to motel and cleaned up. Returned later to park. Millie and I dropped down to grass and said little prayer prior to approaching trailer where results were posted. Then crossed our fingers (not superstitious at all) and went to see.


Smoked it! Finished in 17:27. Beat second place fella by almost a full minute. Would have placed 4th in the Cat 1,2, 3 race. Waiting for "official results" sometime today, but no one protested the finishing list.


I was happy as a clam. This had been the focal point of season. Thanks to everyone who helped me; teammates at Velo, John the Carpenter for covering spin classes for me, training partners for cycling and running. Life is good right now. I didn't sleep a wink last night. Body temp was elevated as were endorphins.


Back in the saddle soon for the 48 mile road race, complete with 50+mph descents. Leading the omnium results right now. Hope to hold my spot and finish high up in the omnium. Check back later for more! Ohhh, unbeeevaable!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way to go!