Rider Profiles

Monday, May 17, 2010

Pump, run and pizza




The truth is.....I am Ironman!

Well, kind of an Ironman, at least when it comes to pumping iron. So, how did you celebrate your birthday? Here's what El Guapo did. Geri from the SW Y, where I teach Group Cycle, convinced me to try out the Pump & Run event she was promoting at the Plattsmouth Community Center. They describe the event better than I can, so here's how it works:

The Pump and Run event includes both the 5K run and a maximal repetition bench press. The runner’s final time many times he/she cans bench press a percentage of their body weight. An athlete’s run time will be reduced by 1 min bench press rep.

So, I weighed in at the usual 175 lbs. For 50-59 age group, you take 80% of your weight, which played out to be 140 lbs. So, when my turn at the bench came up, they piled on 140 lbs. Sporting my new Velo gear, I did 31 reps. This was better than expected, as my previous best had been 27 reps at the Y.

I then hoofed it outside to the 5 K starting point. The course was FUGLY. Not any flat road, rather continual up and down steep hills. I planned on running a 20 minute 5K, and ended up finishing in 20:07. So knocking off one minute for each rep, that lowered my final score to -ll:07.

Ending up winning the whole competition of about 45 people. One young guy benched 32 reps, but I dusted him in the run. Next closest finisher was at -6 minutes. This had been one of my focal spots of the year, so it was satisfying to walk away with the overall win. Who said life ended at 50?

After a quick coffee fix at Paneras, brother Joe, Millie, CK and I hit Zio's for an anchovy and black olive pizza. OMG, mouth watering goodness!

So, now time to switch focus again. Next up, the real Ironman gig. Then we'll really find out how much iron I've got. Gulp!!

1 comment:

Cervelo1 said...

Nice work Pete. I am sure happy that I am under 50.....I would cringe at the competition.

Well done.