Rider Profiles

Sunday, May 30, 2010

It's showtime!


Gulp! Next weekend is the real deal. To date, the single hardest effort I've ever made was the race up Mt. Evans in 2006. Relentless, grueling ascent to 14200ft from Idaho Springs at 7500. That ride chewed me up and spit me out.

It might pale in comparison to the next madness. I'm inked the deal to the tune of 230 clams, to suffer in the half-Ironman in the Land of Oz. Heading to Clinton Lake outside of Lawrence to test my inner mettle. Gonna thrash water for 1.2 miles, jump on the sweet new Orbea TT bike and pound pavement for 56 miles, then lace up the Asics for the 13.1 miles death blow.

Expectations? Not sure. Finish is priority 1, even if I have to drag myself on the pavement to the finish line. Priority 2, finish in top ten of my age group. I suspect there will be some real players here. I don't think a lot of fat slouches, present company excluded, sign up for these 1/2s.

I'm gonna redefine the art of suffering. I'm gonna slam Gu every 10 minutes. This is epic! No rest for the wicked. Flog me please.

No comments: