Rider Profiles

Saturday, June 05, 2010

The Cramps

No, not the punk band. Matt O'Donnell and I raced the Norfolk Classic RR today. The EVCC served up 64 miles of racing, with plenty of wind and humidity for us. Matt raced the 3s, I was racing 4s and we both cramped up during the race. Matt took a flyer in the 1/2/3 race and had a nice solo break going for 6 miles before they reeled him in. After that, it was cramping time. A long stretch by himself, but he finished 11th in the 3s race out of 18.

The 4s race was fun (36 riders-a fairly large group, especially for Nebraska), but there was a lot of negative racing: anytime someone initiated a break, you would end up with some clown getting in and doing no work or screwing up the rotation, or someone with no possible hope of placing well killing themselves to chase it down. Still, it was fast in spite of the headwind that never seemed to go away (the wind actually shifted during the race, so this is literally true). We almost caught the 1/2/3 peloton at the end. On this day of attrition, I was in the lead group of 10 riders that survived acceleration after acceleration. With 2 miles to go I was hit with severe cramping, to a point where I could barely turn the crank. Lost 59 seconds, was passed by a group of 3 and ended up 13th. Still, my fitness is coming along, and if I had remembered to bring electrolyte tablets, I would have survived in the lead group. Live and learn...

Photos from today: Matt and myself.

1 comment:

El Guapo said...

Nice writeup. It looks scorching hot out there. I like the photos too. I think there were some of Matt trying his breakaway solo attempt. Let me tell you a thing or two about cramping. I'll post soon about the Ironman.