Rider Profiles

Friday, July 10, 2009

Capturing the Flag




Trip Report: Day 4

Capturing the Flag
Pix of massive steep ascent of Flag, great fun on way down. Also, kids learning to climb.

OK. My nemesis. I had tried Flagstaff Mt. about two summers ago. It thrashed me. Had to stop twice on the way up to rest. I was beaten like a rented mule. In my defense, I had underestimated it and overestimated my endurance.

Two years ago, I had come out early for a business trip. I knocked off Cottonwood Pass, then the next day went up and over Independence Pass to Aspen, lunched, came back. The following day I climbed three 14’ers, including Mt. Lincoln to knock off the last of the top 10 14’ers in Colorado, another goal. Then went to business conference in Denver and bombed around MUT trails for two days. On Thursday, my buddy Chris (from D.C.) and I did Lookout Mt. I got up early and figured I’d hit Flagstaff on the way out of town. No breakfast. You know the rest of the story.

Today I didn’t underestimate it. I ate fruit for breakfast down at the Lazy Dog as I watched the Tour on TV. I drove up to the start at Baseline Street and parked the Jeep in the Colorado Chautauqua Gardens. Stretched. Gu’ed. Took off in lowest possible gear, spinning away. I conserved energy by soft pedaling on parts I felt I could really speed on. The first part is beautiful as you look out over Boulder as you ascend. Finally, I got to the 15% grade that ruled me earlier. It was work, but I chugged right up. There was one other brutal part, but I tamed it too. The goal was to do it without putting foot on ground. Done.

I was apprehensive about this climb, but can now mark it off of the bucket list. After slumming around Pearl Street and the bike shops there, I ended up joining an evening club ride with the Boulder Bicycle Club. It was advertised as 13-16 mph, no drop ride. Perfect, as I wanted to just spin. It turned into a hammerfest, as things usually do. I represented the low-landers well as we journeyed up to scenic Jamestown on Left Hand Canyon road. On the descent back to Boulder, I hit 50 mph on one stretch.

Currently sitting in Amante’s coffee shop in north Boulder, watching the first mountain stage of the Tour. Waiting for Troy and Steve to show. We’re gonna do a quick ride, shuttle vehicles to Avon, maybe connect with Betty and her posse at Tony Rigatoni’s. Then get ready for the main event tomorrow…..the Triple Bypass! Are you ready to rumble??

2 comments:

M.C. said...

AWESOME! I love reading the updates, you are a superman. Don't forget to practice some asana's at the top of the mountain!!! Those will be great photos for the walls of our yoga studio. Ask around to find some vegan bikers. I would love to know their story.
KEEP KILLING IT!

mathguy said...

Good luck this weekend-keep the rubber side down!