Rider Profiles

Wednesday, July 08, 2009




Day 2: Slumgullion and Spring Passes

Popped up at the crack of dawn. Camped at Nellie Creek where the trailhead for Uncompaghre mountain is. Simone and I flamed out here about 5 years ago in our 4matic Mercedes. We climbed Uncompaghre, but left the Mercedes. Big $$ fiasco.

Broke camp and headed down to Lake City. Found a coffee shop, Mean Jean’s, that was open at 630 AM. And free wireless to boot. Headed up towards Slumgullion around 730. This baby was steep. I know certain parts of it were 9-10%, and it was 7% overall. Labored up to the top without stopping, naturally. I’ll put a foot down only if I CRACK. So far, only one mountain has bested me….Flagstaff.

Crested the Slum and descended cautiously towards the valley in between Slum and Spring. Crested Spring and went down the other side. My turn around point was the magnificent North Clear Creek Falls. This is the waterfall that they used in the old Coors commercials. I munched on my 3 day old Paneras bagel.

On the way out, met a mountain biking hottie named Mary. She was vacationing, but training for an upcoming half-Ironman in Michigan. Headed back up Spring. Saw a cattle grate, so I dismounted and walked over. Here came a roadie flying down the pass, so I waited. Dude was on a Medici. Yakked for a while, since the weather and ride was AA+++.

Stormed up Spring and sped over to the beginning of Slum. Once on top, I was thrilled. Only the twisty, narrow descent to Lake City remained for me to knock of the 2nd of my 3 main goals for the week. Flashed into Lake City around noon. Woo-hoo!

Soaked my sore ankle in the icy cold river. Then snarfed some nasty pizza at Poker Alice again. Decided to take the 4wd road over Cinnamon Pass to Silverton, rather than pavement. This was the scariest, nastiest road I’ve ever been on. Massive drop-offs. I was white-knuckling the steering wheel. It would have been faster to go around the long way on pavement, but I’ll never forget this beautiful, scary ride over 12,640 ft. Cinnamon Pass.

Finally got back to pavement. Got out and kissed it. Hurried thru Silverton and headed north to Ouray, over tomorrow’s 3rd leg; Red Mountain Pass. Aiyyeeeee! Narrow, scary, madness. But I’m going to dominate it tomorrow. That or I’ll be swept out into the abyss by a 18 wheeler. You would not believe the sheer drop-offs on this ride. No shoulders, no railings. Living on the edge, brother. More switchbacks then the Alp de Huez. Ouray to Silverton and back. Stay tuned for hair-raising tales of horror on tomorrow’s report. You heard it first hear, on the QT and hush-hush. OUT.

1 comment:

Backseat Peddler said...

This is your wife. You are ssssooo busted, dude. What are you planning to do? Make me a widow. Be careful. If you go, I'm trading in your bikes for a closetful of Manolo Blaniks and a Birkin bag. xo