Rider Profiles

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Children of the Corn


Randy and Pete populate the podium

Corn recap:

I wanted to do the Cornhusker State Games this year fo' sure, cuz I wanted to be eligible to go do the 2013 State Games of America. Didn't know where that would be held until afterwards. Turns out it will be Hershey, PA. Being a chocolate fiend, that will be sweet.

So, I had to scamper back from high-altitude camping at 12000 ft in the Rockies in order to plop my fanny on the TT bike for the 1st time all year. I did the death march from 12000 ft down to the Jeep at 9100 ft. Being loaded down like a yak, it really zaps your quads and tests your fortitude as you descend. Then climb in the Jeep and drive for the whole day. Friday night I was fretting about just being competitive, let alone worrying about winning. Bountiful butterflies circling my brain on Friday night, to be replaced by ravenous vultures waiting to pick over my charred remains on Saturday after the race. Typical demons. Wish I was a vampire or lichen, instead of a mere mortal.

As it turns out, once they launched me out the starting gates, the fretting goes away, replaced by bellowing lungs. I ride naked. No gizmos, like HRMs or power meters or speedometers. The only measuring stick is SUFFERING. Can I suffer more? Or am I at REDLINE? A good TT'er is redlining the whole way. (not insinuating I'm good, I just read that somewhere)

Starting catching rabbits after the 1st mile or so. Passed my 30 second bunny near Bennington Road, then more hares while blasting down Deerfield. Hammered down to Maple, then starting worrying about going up the big-ass hill. Stayed aero the whole way up, but other riders heard the roar as I overtook them on the hill. No, not my aero Easton EC90 TT wheels, the sound of my lungs being sucked in and out of my mouth. Blessed by the east turn onto Rainwood, knowing the only suffering left to do is the long straight away to the finish.

Played on my strong suit again; the ability to suffer. I pumped the 54 yr old pegs to 1st in the Masters and 3rd overall. Spence and that vampire Brady smoked me like a rack of ribs, but hey, as you know, there is ALWAYS someone faster.

Next up....Boulder Ironman 70.3 on August 7. I will journey deep into the PAIN CAVE and confront more demons. I will endeavor to persevere.

1 comment:

brady said...

Nice write up, Pete. Good race, too.

For the record, I am not a vampire. I've always been an MWCC guy. You, on the other hand, have always been a Velo Veloce guy, haven't you? If that's the case, then I think most would agree that you're a TT warrior with Tigger blood in you.