Rider Profiles

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

RAG-FRY REPORT


Sharp-looking Veloers line up to do the 1st day of RAGBRAI. Left to right: Anne, Pete, re-Pete, Simone, Zach n Danny
Hoooey, boy! It was egg-frying hot out on the asphalt for the annual great bike ride across Iowa. Here's my version.

We met early in the inferno at Glenwood. Took group photo, without Dave and Michelle Cleasby, and launched the group towards the 1st rendezvous at Farmer Boys burritos. Quickly realized I forgot my lid. Sprinted back to Glenwood, but alas, my courier had scooted. So, I rode sans helmet, to much heckling from the other riders. "look at that moron. hope he's not riding all week."

Caught up with Simone at Silver City. Hit Farmer Boys and found more veloers. Lost Pete and Anne somewhere. Saw Todd. Saw Brother Joe. Had the absolute tastiest burrito on the planet. Saw the Saint Cecilia's contingent. We hit all the rest of the usual spots; smoothies, pastafari, watermelon, ice cream. Blazed into Atlantic at 4 pm. Rammed home some DCs, the ultimate motivator, at the Atlantic YMCA, gorged at the Pizza Ranch buffet and then hauled buns back for the cool confines of the Big O. Never hooked up with Veloer's Troy or Dave Randleman. Saw some Midwest posse riding against the grain. I cruised all day, not a hard effort at all. Enjoyed the hills. Relished them. And it was hilly!

Favorite bikes? Saw a sweet Euskatel Orbea, a nice vintage Merckx and, of course, Anne's De Rosa. Rode my stylin' Simonetti, got a few kind comments. Glad we bailed out on spending the night, as it didn't cool off at all. I love RAGBRAI, but give me Ride the Rockies anytime. Any other input?

No comments: